Media appearances and writings
Coach Brendan is an expert on endurance training and work/life balance who is frequently quoted on the air and in print. He’s a frequent co-host of the radio program Stocks and Jocks.
He’s also penned several authoritative articles for many respected running publications. See his recent multimedia coverage.
- Coach Brendan ABC Chicago 7 Boston Marathon renews resolve of runners April 16, 2013 Frank Mathie interview
- How Beginners Can Make Running a Healthy Habit, Active.com
- Runner’s World, March 2013, quoted in “Perks of Running Solo or Social”
- NBC Chicago 5 News Coach Brendan Antarctica Marathon NBC 5 Chicago reported on Coach Brendan’s Antarctica Marathon, Feb. 27, 2013.
- Coach Brendan’s Marathon at the Bottom of the World Part one – Bernie Tafoya of WBBM Newsradio 780 reported on Coach Brendan’s historic Antarctica Marathon, Feb. 25, 2013.
- Coach Brendan’s 87th Marathon – Coaching Chicago’s Runners Part two – Bernie Tafoya WBBM report on Coach Brendan’s Antarctica Marathon, Feb. 25, 2013.
- Women’s Running Magazine, Training Plan: Your first marathon, November 15, 2012
- WGN TV Mid-day Fix: Marathon Training Tips-Good Form Will Carry You Through!
- Three Ways for Advanced Runners to Achieve a PR, Active.com, August 9, 2012
- Training Tips for the Bank of America Chicago Marathon, 670 The Score live interview with sports reporter David Schuster July 22, 2012
- Good Running Form for Beginners, Active.com, July 12, 2012
- Training Guidelines for a Successful Marathon, Chicago Athlete, June 2012
- “Running for a Cause: Charity and Chicago Marathon,” Daily Herald Business Ledger, June 6, 2012″
- WBEZ-FM, Chicago Public Radio, The Afternoon Shift with Steve Edwards, “The How-to’s of Running for the Novice and Expert,” May 29, 2012
- Active.com, Good Running Form for Beginners
- FM News Chicago, Coach Brendan’s tips for runners switching from the treadmill to outdoors
- WBEZ Radio Coach Brendan’s advice on 848 prepping for and finishing the Chicago Marathon.
- WBBM Newsradio: Coach Brendan tells Bernie Tafoya “75 percent of the 400 runners he has been coaching since May are running a marathon for the first time Sunday.” Hear the interview.
- Fox News, December 28, 2011 “Tips to Help You Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions”
- Competitor magazine, November 2011 “Post-Marathon Mending”
- Fox News, November 4, 2011″Eating for Endurance: Marathon Meals of the Trade”
- Runner’s World, August 2011 “Dealing With Distractions While Training”
- Medill Reports, November 2, 2010
“Chicago’s Marathon Man Has Been on the Run for 25 Years”
- ESPN.com, September 30, 2010
“Build Endurance With These Workouts”
- Shape Magazine, August 2010
“Your Step-by-Step Half Marathon Training Schedule”
- “When Hitting the Wall Takes on a New Meaning.” Marathon & Beyond magazine, July/August 2010
- Runner’s World, July 2010
“It’s About Time”
- Runner’s World,April 2010
“Mixed Blessing.” Cross-training tips to become a stronger, healthier runner
- American Bar Association Journal, October 2009
- “Good Form Will Carry You Through,” Competitor magazine, September 2009
- “Beach Running for Strength and Endurance,” Competitor magazine, August 2009
- “Walk to Run Better,” Competitor magazine, July 2009,
Coach Brendan writes on the benefits of run/walking while training for and running endurance events.
- “Overcoming the ‘Stopping Wish’ in a Marathon,” Windy City Sports, October 2008
Running a marathon is 90% mental. The other half is physical.
- “The Benefits of Walking: Runner’s Edition” Chicago Athlete, September 19, 2009
Coach Brendan answers the question, Can run-walking really make me a better runner?
- Windy City Sports, June 25, 2008
“Speed It Up”
- ABC 7 Chicago: Coach Brendan is profiled as “Someone You Should Know”: Watch the clip>>
Coach Brendan is a frequent motivational speaker. Please click here if you’d like Coach Brendan to speak to your running clinic, business or organization.
- “Last Minute Tips for Better Performance – Visualization Techniques” – Chicago Half Marathon Expo, September 7 and 8, 2012, Navy Pier Exposition Hall, Chicago
- “Returning to Running after an Injury”
2012 Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle Expo, March 23 & 24, 2012
Navy Pier — Chicago, IL
- “Running For a Cause: Benefits of Partnerships Between Races and Charities”
USA Track & Field Race Directors Conference, November 18, 2011
St. Xavier University – Chicago, IL
- “Tips For First Time Marathoners”
Bank of America Chicago Marathon Expo, October 7 & 8, 2011
McCormick Place – Chicago, IL
- “Good Form Will Carry You Through”
Bank of America Chicago Marathon Expo, October 8 & 9, 2010
McCormick Place – Chicago, IL
- “Influence of Baby Boomers – Participation in Races”
USA Track & Field Race Directors Conference, November 2009
Hamburger U – Oak Brook, IL